Easy Tips for a Sustainable Holiday
When the holidays arrive, we tend to get swept up in the hustle and bustle of the season with all of the lights, visitors, baking and gift giving that ensues. According to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the average American household generates about one million extra tons of waste between Thanksgiving and New Years. That’s a lot of gift wrap!
This year, think about the environment to ensure that your holiday fun doesn’t undo all of the positive impact you’ve made throughout the year. Check out these top 10 tips for enjoying a sustainable holiday. The planet will thank you!
1. Decorate with natural materials found outdoors.
2. Burn natural candles made from beeswax, palm oil and soy.
3. Choose a live tree that can be planted outdoors and composted after the holidays.
4. Use LED lighting on your trees and put them on timers to save money on energy.
5. Give hand made gifts.
6. When purchasing gifts, choose local vendors.
7. Use environmentally friendly gift wrap and recycle it after you are finished with it.
8. Send digital holiday cards.
9. Compost leftover scraps from your holiday meals.
10. Serve sustainable, organic wine and beer at holiday parties.